Install the M.2 cage and M.2 backplane (16-EDSFF chassis)
Use the information in this topic to install the M.2 cage and M.2 backplane to the 16-EDSFF chassis.
About this task
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the M.2 backplane, M.2 drive and M.2 cage to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the M.2 backplane, M.2 drive and M.2 cage out of the package and place them on a static-protective surface. NoteThe M.2 backplane you want to install might be different from the following illustrations, but the installation method is the same.
- To install the M.2 drives to M.2 backplane, see Install the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive.
- Install the M.2 backplane to M.2 cage.Figure 1. M.2 backplane installation
- Place the M.2 backplane evenly to the rails on the M.2 cage, and slide the backplane into the cage until the notch on the backplane mounts the groove on the standoff.
- Tighten the captive screw on the backplane, and make sure that the backplane is secured in place.
- Install the M.2 cage to the chassis.Figure 2. M.2 cage installation
Push the M.2 cage into the chassis until the release latch clicks into place.
- Reconnect the cables to the M.2 backplane. See M.2 drive backplane.
- Install the top cover. See Install the top cover.