Install the 7mm drive backplanes
Use this information to install the 7mm drive backplanes.
About this task
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains new backplanes to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. And then, take new backplanes out of the package and place them on a static-protective surface.
- Install the 7mm drive backplane at the bottom.Figure 1. 7mm drive backplane installation (bottom)
- Align the pin on the cage and slightly slide the backplane into the cage until it is fully seated.
- Install the screw as shown.
- Install the 7mm drive backplane on the top.Figure 2. 7mm drive backplane installation (top)
- Put the backplane down on the cage as shown.
- Install the two screws to secure the backplane in place.
- Connect the cables to the system board assembly and the backplane. See Internal cable routing. If the cable connectors come with protective dust caps, make sure to remove them before plugging in.
After you finish
Install the 7mm drive cage assembly on the rear chassis. See Install the 7mm rear drive assembly.
Reinstall the 7mm drives and fillers into the drive bays. The installation method is the same as 2.5/3.5 inch hot-swap drive. See Install a 2.5''/3.5'' hot-swap drive.
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.