Remove the 7mm drive backplanes
Use this information to remove the 7mm drive backplanes.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Prepare your server.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove all installed drives and fillers (if any) from the drive bays. See Remove a 2.5''/3.5'' hot-swap drive.
- Record the cable connections for 7mm drives and then disconnect all cables from the backplanes. For information about the backplane cable routing, See 7mm drive backplane. If the cable connectors come with protective dust caps, make sure to put them back on.
- Remove the 7mm drive assembly (if any) from the rear chassis. See Remove the rear 2.5'' drive assembly.
- Remove the 7mm drive backplane on the top. Figure 1. 7mm drive backplane removal (top)
- Remove the two screws as shown.
- Vertically lift the backplane up and put it aside.
- Remove the 7mm drive backplane at the bottom. Figure 2. 7mm drive backplane removal (bottom)
- Remove the screw as shown.
- Remove the backplane horizontally from the cage as shown.
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.