Remove the power distribution board
Use this information to remove the power distribution board.
About this task
Make sure you have the required tools listed below in hand to properly replace the component.
SD665 V3 Water Loop Service Kit (The water loop carrier in the Service Kit is reusable, it is recommended to keep it at the facility where the server operates for future replacement needs.)
SD665 V3 Water Loop Putty Pad Kit
Drive gap pad or putty pad kits according to the drives installed in the tray. See their respective replacement procedures for more information.
ConnectX series adapter putty pad kits according to the ConnectX adapter installed in the tray. See their respective replacement procedures for more information.
Screws and screwdriversPrepare the following screwdrivers to ensure you can install and remove corresponding screws properly.
Screwdriver Type Screw Type Torx T10 head screwdriver Torx T10 screw Torx T20 head screwdriver Torx T20 screw Phillips #2 head screwdriver Phillips #2 screw 3/16" hex head screwdriver M3 screw
Turn off the corresponding DWC tray that you are going to perform the task on.
Disconnect all external cables from the enclosure.
Use extra force to disconnect QSFP cables if they are connected to the solution.
To avoid damaging the water loop, always use the water loop carrier when removing, installing or folding the water loop.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove the tray from the enclosure. See Remove a DWC tray from the enclosure.
- Remove the tray cover. See Remove the tray cover.
- Remove the cross braces. See Remove the cross braces.
- Remove the M.2 backplane assembly. See Remove the M.2 backplane assembly.NoteThe M.2 backplane cold plate needs to be removed as well.
- Remove the drive cage. See Remove a drive cage assembly.
- Remove the PCIe riser assembly. Depending on your configuration, see Remove a PCIe riser assembly (ConnectX-6), Remove a PCIe riser assembly (ConnectX-7 NDR 200), or Remove a PCIe riser assembly (ConnectX-7 NDR 400).
- Remove the five screws to loosen the quick connect.Figure 1. Quick connect screw removal
- Remove water loop screws and quick connect screws (14x Torx T10 screws per node) with a torque screwdriver set to the proper torque.Note
Figure 3. Water loop screw removal
For reference, the torque required for the screws to be fully tightened/removed is 5.0+/- 0.5 lbf-in, 0.55+/- 0.05 N-M.
When removing the 1 VR cold plate screws (x2), remove the washers, too. Make sure to keep the washers for future use. (Depending on the configurations, there may not be any washers on the VR cold plate. In this case, there is no need to remove and keep the washers.)Figure 2. VR cold plate screws with washers
- Orient the water loop carrier with the guide pin; then, gently put the water loop carrier down and ensure it is seated firmly on the water loop.Figure 4. Water loop carrier installation
- Tighten water loop carrier screws (12x Phillips #2 screws per node).NoteThe screw holes on the rear of the carrier are marked with
L and R. Select screw holes marked as L when the carrier is on the left node, and R for the right node.Figure 5. Water loop carrier screws installation
- Remove processor cold plate screws (12x Torx T20 screws per node). Follow the screw sequence specified on the processor cold plate label and loosen the screws with a general screwdriver torque screwdriver. Fully loosen each screw; then, proceed to the next screw.NoteFor reference, the torque required for the screws to be fully tightened/removed is 1.12-1.46 newton-meters, 10-13 inch-poundsFigure 6. Processor cold plate label
Fully loosen each screw in this order:Figure 7. Processor cold plate removal
- Rotate the latches on the water loop carrier to separate the processor cold plates from processors.Figure 8. Separate water loop from processor
- Carefully rotate the water loop so one half is sitting on top of the other half.Note
Do not tilt the water loop. Keep the water loop horizontal with the tray.Figure 9. Folding the water loop
- Remove the power distribution board.
- Remove the five M3 screws (per node) with a 3/16" hex head screwdriver.
- Gently pull the power distribution board connector to disconnect it from the system board.
- Carefully pull the power distribution board inwards to disengage it from the node.
Use a 3/16" hex head screwdriver to ensure the proper removal and installation.Figure 10. Power distribution board removal
- Wipe the thermal grease from the top of the processors with an alcohol cleaning pad.
- Wipe the thermal grease from the bottom of the cold plate with an alcohol cleaning pad.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.