Remove a simple-swap drive (bay 3)
Follow this procedure to remove a simple-swap drive from bay 3.
Read Safety inspection checklist and Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables, see Power off the server.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack. See Remove the server from the rails.
Remove any locking device that secures the server, such as a Kensington lock or a padlock.
Place the server on its side with the cover up.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparation for this task.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.Note
The heat sink and processor could be very hot. To avoid burning yourself, wait for a few minutes after turning off the server before you remove the server cover.
- If applicable, remove the optical drive, see Remove an optical drive.
- Remove the optical drive cage from the chassis, see Remove the optical drive cage.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.
- Remove the 3.5-inch drive.
- Slide the drive retainer out from the drive cage.
- Tear both sides of the retainer apart and remove the drive from the retainer.Figure 1. Removing the 3.5-inch driveNote
Depending on the configuration, the 3.5-inch drive may be the model in the illustration below.