Replacing a hot-swap fan
Use this information to replace a hot-swap fan.
The server comes standard with four dual-motor hot-swap cooling fans. When there is one microprocessor installed, install fan 1, 2, 3, and 5 for proper cooling.
To replace a hot-swap fan, complete the following steps:
- Read the safety information that begins on Safety and Installation guidelines.
- Remove the cover (see Removing the cover).
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new fan to any unpainted metal surface on the server. Then, remove the new fan from the package. Figure 1. Fan installation
- Orient the fan over the fan slot in the fan assembly bracket so that the fan connector aligns with the connector on the system board.Figure 2. Fan installation
- Insert the fan into the fan slot in the fan assembly bracket and press it down until it is seated correctly in the slot and the fan connector is seated correctly in the connector on the system board. NoteMake sure that the newly-installed fan aligns horizontally with other correctly-seated fans for proper installation.
- Replace the cover (see Replacing the cover).
- Slide the server into the rack.