Replacing the system battery
Use this information to replace the system battery.
The following notes describe information that you must consider when replacing the system battery in the server.
- When replacing the system battery, you must replace it with a lithium battery of the same type from the same manufacturer.
- To order replacement batteries, call 1-800-426-7378 within the United States, and 1-800-465-7999 or 1-800-465-6666 within Canada. Outside the U.S. and Canada, contact your sales representative or reseller.
- After you replace the system-board battery, you must reconfigure the server and reset the system date and time.
- To avoid possible danger, read and follow the following safety statement.
When replacing the lithium battery, use only Part Number 33F8354 or an equivalent type battery recommended by the manufacturer. If your system has a module containing a lithium battery, replace it only with the same module type made by the same manufacturer. The battery contains lithium and can explode if not properly used, handled, or disposed of.
- Throw or immerse into water
- Heat to more than 100°C (212°F)
- Repair or disassemble
Dispose of the battery as required by local ordinances or regulations.
To install the replacement system battery, complete the following steps:
- Follow any special handling and installation instructions that come with the replacement battery.
- Read the safety information that begins on Safety and Installation guidelines.
- Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables, if necessary.
- Remove the cover (see Removing the cover).
- If necessary, lift the PCI riser-card assembly 2 out of the way (see Removing a PCI riser-card assembly).
- Insert the new battery: Figure 1. System battery installation
- Tilt the battery so that you can insert it into the socket on the side opposite the battery clip.Figure 2. System battery installation
- Press the battery down into the socket until it clicks into place. Make sure that the battery clip holds the battery securely.
- If you removed a rubber cover from the battery holder, use your fingers to install the battery cover on top of the battery connector.
- Tilt the battery so that you can insert it into the socket on the side opposite the battery clip.
- Reinstall the PCI riser-card assembly 2 (see Replacing a PCI riser-card assembly), if necessary.
- Install the cover (see Replacing the cover).
- Slide the server into the rack.
- Reconnect the external cables; then, reconnect the power cords and turn on the peripheral devices and the server.
- Start the Setup utility and reset the configuration.
- Set the system date and time.
- Set the power-on password.
- Reconfigure the server.