Remove the M.2 boot adapter and drives
See this topic to learn how to remove the M.2 boot adapter and drives.
About this task
Go over Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work with safety.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables (see Power off the server).
If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Loosen the captive screw, and push the M.2 boot adapter slightly forward to detach it from the system board. Then, lift the M.2 boot adapter.Figure 1. Removing the M.2 boot adapter
- Remove the M.2 drives from the backplane.Figure 2. Removing the M.2 drives
- Pinch and hold on the retainer clip.
- Slightly push the retainer clip left to disengage the M.2 drives.
- Pivot the rear side of the M.2 drives away from the backplane.
- Remove the M.2 drives.
After this task is completed
- Install replacement units of M.2 drives (see Install the M.2 drives and boot adapter).
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.
- If there is a plan of recycling the component:Figure 3. Disconnecting the M.2 cable
- Loosen the captive screw that secure the M.2 cable to the adapter.
- Disconnect the M.2 cable from the adapter.
- Open the cover on the adapter.
- Loosen the captive screw that secure the M.2 backplane to the adapter.
- Remove the screw that secure the M.2 backplane to the adapter.
- Remove the M.2 backplane from the adapter.